Sunday, April 21, 2013

Breaking Bad Habits

  I've acquired a lot of bad habits through the years.  Not as bad as some people, but maybe worse than others.  Some habits weren't too hard to break, but maybe it just took some growing up.  For instance, I have been able to leave to partying to the younger generation.  I don't have the desire to eat fast food like I did in the past which was a horrible habit that developed in my early 20's and last through my mid 30's.  The Dr. Pepper craving has pretty much disappeared the last few years and for that, I'm grateful.  I do love me some Dr. Pepper!!
  I read a great book about our habits and learned that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit.  It isn't easy, but nothing in life comes easy, does it?  Since the new year, I've been focusing on good sleep habits because sleep is where we heal.  And if we aren't sleeping good, our body can't heal itself.  With heart disease and cancer rates still on the rise, the best I thought I could do was start at home with my own habits.  Thus, no more Dr. Pepper, fast food, copious amounts of alcohol, and late nights.
  This month, I've been working diligently on trying to get my coffee addiction under control.  Yes, I understand that caffeine affects everyone differently.  I was having 2-3 LARGE cups of coffee laden with REAL sugar and cream daily.  Not the fake creamer, but organic half and half.  But during all this "practicing good sleep habits," I was sleeping terribly!  I didn't blame the coffee at first...I knew I wasn't exercising as much and I was sitting around reading because its too cold to do anything else.  When I'd go to sleep, my back and legs would hurt something fierce, so I'd just pop a few ibuprofen every other night or every night depending on my pain level.

Can't stay young and healthy that way!!

  Several years ago, I glanced through an alternative medical book regarding the effects of caffeine on our body, specifically our muscles.  I cannot remember the name of the book, but I thought I could experiment.
  Since the beginning of April, I have been down to one cup of coffee a day.  (Couldn't do the cold turkey thing since I tried that five years ago and it was a disaster!)  At first I thought , "it isn't so much the caffeine I crave, but the warmth."  But I am addicted to caffeine, I know that now.  I have to put my mug in the dishwasher right away AND I only make enough to have just one.  No Keurig for me; it's too weak!
  Those first few days I was SO exhausted!!  I felt as if I were moving underwater.  Normal activities took me twice as long. But as I kept to my nightly routine of a hot shower and a regular bedtime, I noticed a HUGE difference in how I was sleeping.  I slept GOOD!!!
  It's almost been a full month.  With the exception of an early travel day, (I never sleep good the night before a travel day) my sleep has been deep and uninterrupted.  I've noticed that I have more energy during the day and I'm more alert.  I've been able to wean myself off my daily iron supplement.  The most noticeable and exciting change has been the lack of bags under my eyes.  I think I look younger now than I did after my third child was born.

After all, I'm still just a girl wanting to look my best!!  That's a habit I'll never want to break!!

No comments:

Post a Comment