Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Making it Work

Being a full time wife and mother is not an easy task.  I have so many friends that work full time outside the home and always tell me, "I don't know how you do it, I'd go crazy" or "I'd end up in prison because I'd kill someone." (That second statement came from one of my dear New Yorker friends...so brutally honest, but refreshing.)

When I worked full time, I felt like nothing was ever 100% done.  It was as if I were a pie and a third of me went to household chores, a third of me focused on full time work, and a third of me had to be shared by Mike and the kids - guess that's a sixth, but I'm no math major.  It was a lose-lose situation.  I wasn't the top salesperson at work because I was concerned about Christian and which college he was going to attend.  I was angry that Severn was dealing with bullying at the middle school.  I wasn't preparing the most nutricious meals at home...PB & J and grilled cheese were staples in our home last year, in fact not prepared by me at all, but by Miranda.

This is what I decided to change by working my business out of my home this past year.  I have dedicated days to making phone calls and mornings are dedicated to emails.  While my business is still growing, I wanted to conserve cash flow, so I clip coupons on Sundays and compare ads.  I plan out my week so unnecessary driving has been cut down.  We eat at home pretty much everyday, so those fast food runs are few and far between.

I wanted to build my relationship with Michael so that we can celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and our children and grandchildren will say, "That's what I want!"  Basically, I changed how I look at him.  I see this most amazing man who makes me laugh.  Sometimes, he says things that don't make me laugh, but make me feel like I've just been tickled -have you ever felt like that?  We talk about EVERYTHING - even if it's trivial.  For example, yesterday the topics were,  How do you Discipline your Daughter when She's a Teenager? and I Know who Would have My Back in a Fight even at this Age (Chris and Darren, here's to you!)

And I am now probably the most consistent mom you'll meet when it comes to my kids.  Christian gets to talk with me several times a week.  I am putting the finishing touches on my masterpiece, this beautiful person that we were blessed to raise, by building him up to be a man of integrity and honor.  I encourage Severn and Miranda to make wise choices in food daily.  And personal hygiene.  And being a good friend. And learning something new everyday.

How does my pie look now?  It's still in thirds, but routine and consistency have brought it all together.  I thank God everyday that He has given me this opportunity to do what I am best at.  Being a wife, a mother, and business owner - and having the enthusiasm to do it all well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment